Time

So last night I was wandering around on the web while I was thinking about what to blog first, and I stumbled on this video, and enjoyed it very much. 



What perfect timing. So much of what he says struck a chord. We have to make time for the things we want to do, and in doing it, we'll achieve so much. In truth sometimes I feel that I have no time to even think, let alone do, to such an extent that I end up in a paralysed state and don't do any work at all! How pathetic. Course we all know that even tiny steps each day gets you there in the end. 

So, let's make this little bit of time really productive and positive. I'll kick off by showing you what's in progress in the studio at the moment. Vying for easel time I've got these panels...


These are all quite small, primed MDF panels. The one above is a mix of digital and painting. DMTV viewers will have seen some of this work in recent video workshops. I'm really enjoying the potential of this and I'm sure that there will be more along these lines. The digital image was created on the iPad with Procreate. I'm now painting into it with acrylic glazes.

The one below is from the same series of work, again a digital painting that I'm working into. This one has some additional collage elements. The text is handwritten with ink and a brush onto thin paper. Loved doing that, and the papers have been so useful. I'm sure you'll spot them in collages in my sketchbook too.

I reckon this one is nearly finished. The glazes still look a bit thin in some areas so I need to build those up and create some depth particularly in the top 'sky' section. 


These two panels have been waiting for ages. They started out with my monoprinted frames technique and now I need to add something to the windows. What to put in them? It'll probably be a portrait but I'm feeling daunted by that. Just need to knuckle down and try, I can always paint over a disaster after all!


If you've taken valuable time to read my blog today, then thank you! If like me you spend far too much time on your phone or computer, then you might also like to follow my Instagram page where I'm also posting my work as I go. Here's a link.

Back soon!
Laura
xx

Comments

  1. WOW...love the colors in your first picture! But they are all SO you and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Robbie, that's so kind. I love the glow you can get with glazes.

      Delete
  2. Wow, love the first two !
    (is the first one finished ?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Els! The first one isn't finished. It needs more layers and some detail added. I've been experimenting in my sketchbook and I think I have the solution for what to do, just got to get on with it!

      Delete
  3. I had an art idea for next year's present of an Amaryllis from my family. I am going to start a drawing a day, in a new sketchbook, of the amaryllis from planting to end of flowering. This will allow for all sorts of media (while there is little going on at the beginning) and demonstrate just how fast they grow. This year I have had the idea, while it was making such fast progress, and next year I will carry it out. What else can people come up with, to keep the momentum of the drawing a day idea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy that sounds like a great idea. I love amaryllis. If you can, look up the watercolours of Shirley Trevena, she paints flowers brilliantly.

      I think when it comes to working daily, the best idea is to draw something that's easily accessible - your own face, hands, breakfast! Simple every day subjects can be a lot of fun.

      Delete
  4. David Litchfield - I'm a teensy weensy bit in love having watched that TED talk! I'm trying to do a sketchbook page a day in a new book. Not quite keeping it up but not doing too badly. But this really is motivational!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment