Monoprint at the Wooden House

Back from 'Dovey, a late night of preparation and then back into the swing of things with a workshop here at The Wooden House. This week it's all about monoprint, one of my favourite techniques. 


The students worked with their own themes, Polynesian barkcloth, trees, plums, shoes, birds and landscape.




I demonstrated a range of approaches and techniques including linear, reductive and sequential printing.




My mono printed quilt top with the drawing of Amelie was fished out from the stack of unfinished things in the studio. I really, really need to get going on the quilting of this one. I know it's not straightforward which is why I've been putting it off. Having spent the day with it on the wall looking at me I feel inspired to tackle it!


We printed onto a range of papers including vintage maps, dictionary pages, deli papers and drawing paper.



During the afternoon students worked on fabric if they preferred.



 I think it's easy to get carried away with print, it's so quick and the results so lovely and instant. The temptation to layer up too many prints, to pack in too much colour and pattern can often be inescapable. Keeping it stripped back and simple, letting the marks have room to breathe and for the quality of line  to speak for itself is important. The students all did a great job with that. I particularly liked the landscape work by Margaret. I saw an exhibition of landscape paintings last weekend and this had a similar vibe. More about those next time.


Bye for now,
Laura
x

Comments

  1. I'm doing this workshop next! I love the technique but am such an amateur! Lovely stuff. H xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment