Altered Books - Find out more


It's probably about time I told you about the next workshop that's open for booking here at the Wooden House. Coming up in early April I'm teaching 'Altered Books'. It's one of my favourite classes to teach - I just love seeing those old, unloved books turned into little works of art.



First, let me tempt you with some pages from my altered books...



Starting with the basics of preparing pages we'll explore some of the best tactics and techniques for book altering. You'll be led by your chosen book, modifying the original structure with cutting and additions before customising the pages with mixed media, paint, print and collage.


We'll add new papers, photos, cut, stitch and paint.


I'll show you how simple drawing and painting techniques can bring your pages to life.



And we'll play with exciting ways to adjust the structure of the book to add a creative surprise here and there.



I'll provide a book to alter, but you can also bring more of your own to make for a super-productive day.


Liberating, experimental and highly addictive, what more can I say! During the class there will be ample opportunity to study examples of altered books and gather ideas to take home. This one-day workshop is suitable for beginners or those with experience as there's plenty of scope for pushing the ideas as far as you'd like to. I'll demonstrate all the techniques and you'll see how layering simple processes creates such exciting results. You'll never walk past a book sale again!The workshop will take place here at The Wooden House where you'll be able to use all of the resources available - art media, print blocks, stencils, stamps, etc. Please check out the post that follows this one for a peak at how the studio looks.It's a one-day workshop and there are two dates available. At the moment there are places on each date, but do drop me a line if you'd like to come so I can pencil you in. 

Sunday 12th April or Wednesday 15th April.
10am - 4pm

£65 to include materials including a vintage book for altering. (I'll ask you to bring 1 or 2 other old books to work in, but I'll provide everything else.) Homemade lunch and all refreshments during the day are also included.

Our location - The Wooden House, near Bridgnorth, Shropshire.

Really hope you can come!
Bye for now,
Laura
x

Comments

  1. I'm coming , I'm coming ( squeaking with excitement!!)

    I've got a book sorted out already ( had it weeks infact) and I'm getting all breathless just thinking about being tucked up and all cosy in the wooden house ( I'm rather hoping its a chilly day so that the cosines can be amplified - is that a bit mean of me?)

    So all excited! See you then!!

    H xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment